Philips mobile today announced the launch of Philips Xenium X2566, the first-of-its-kind feature phone exclusively designed for senior citizens. With features such as large font size, long lasting battery life and SOS function, priced at an affordable price range, the device has features that makes technology accessible to the elderly.
Senior citizens are often inconvenienced by the standard phones available in the market due to their small font size, short battery life and fragility. According to Pew Research Internet Group, elderly citizens face several difficulties while adopting new technologies. Two in five elderly citizens indicated that they have a “physical or health condition that makes reading difficult or challenging” or a “disability, handicap, or chronic disease that prevents them from fully participating in many common daily activities”.
In line, with this Philips X2566 comes with following features to make technology accessible to senior citizens:
· Large Display fonts: The phone makes use of large font sizes on a 2.4 inch landscape to enable easy reading. The keypad of the phone also makes use of larger keys you can read or text on your screen comfortably without straining your eyes.
· Humanized Design: The mellow and full design is elegant and easy to hold. The unique crystal double colour injection moulding technology gives a special protection painting on the whole phone body, which makes the phone more elegant and fadeless.
· Xenium Technology: The phone comes with a 1630mAh Li-ion battery capacity and Xenium power saving technology that offers users. Up to 1128 hours standby time and Up to 24 hours talking time.
· FM Radio with high volume loudspeaker: The phone has an internal antenna for FM radio; along with a high volume loudspeaker and earpiece for better audibility.
· SOS Function: This function enables users to set three ’emergency’ or SOS numbers. In case of an emergency, users can press the SOS button hidden under the flashlight to dial out the pre-set SOS numbers. . It allows you to identify a maximum of three different numbers where you can get immediate help when emergencies occur, whether within or outside your home. When you activate the SOS button, the phone will automatically connect to these numbers until your call gets answered by any one of the parties. This life-saving design means that you can retain your independence while maintaining easy access to immediate assistance in case you need help.
· Magnifier & Flashlight: The phone comes with a unique ‘Magnifier’ which allows users to magnify letters on your phone screen and a powerful flashlight that can be used even when the phone power is switched off.
Commenting on the launch Mr. S.S. Bassi, Country Manager – SAARC, Sangfei Mobility said, “Philips has always pioneered in cutting-edge innovations that matter to our customers. With changing lifestyles in metros in India and increasing incident of elderly abuse, senior citizens are often left to support themselves by choice or otherwise. We specially designed this phone to make technology more accessible to and user-friendly for the elderly with minimum intervention from others.”
Philips X2566 is affordably priced at Rs 3, 800 and is available for sale.