Twitter has always been a boon for us in promoting our posts as it is the main source of traffic for us after organic traffic. People just often keep tweeting the same link again and again which has a dual disadvantage: One, loss of credibility and Two, Susceptibility of spam.
Here are a few tips for you to drive huge traffic via twitter.
Building a Brand for your Blog with Twitter – A Ten-Point Strategy
- To begin with, choose an username that is the same as your blog’s name or at least has a connection with your blog’s name.
- Connect with fellow writer and also your readers. At the same time be selective, do learn to ignore. When someone says
- Tweet all your posts. At least a few of others. Back in August 2010, A survey showed Facebook users are generally narcissistic; As of now, not much of such a complaint has been thrown on twitter. Let’s keep it that way and promote others content and expect them to reciprocate, too!
- Make a note: Twitter isn’t the compact form of your RSS feed. Feeding your twitter profiles with twitterfeed and dlvr.it must be highly avoided as far as you have enough time to spend crafting materials within 140 characters.
- Make another note: Scheduling works like a charm though it is similar to feeding. But in this case, you automate blog posts only that are worth a read or two. Be wise in choosing the best and also keep the scheduling interval quite long.
- Advertising in twitter – using services like MyLikes Network is the most grave mistake you can ever do. This not only makes your readers think twice before clicking any link of yours but also degrades your idea of building a brand for your blog with twitter. Have you seen Techcrunch or Engadget people do such a lame thing?
- Tweet frequency – Let’s get social? I tweet 150 times a day. Will you click a single link of mine? I’d be surprised if you haven’t unfollowed me yet. Or even worse, I tweet once in two weeks. I myself will be wondering how many of my twitter buds know my username and/or my full name.
- Use your own URL shortener. Copyblogger has it’s own URL shortener, copy.bz and Search Engine land has it’s own URL shortener, selnd.com and so does almost every other renowned blog.
- Don’t have a URL shortener for yourself? There’s nothing to sob about! You can use twitter’s official URL shortener t.co that really helps in building a brand. This is something I’ve learnt from my experience. What bit.ly and goo.gl doesn’t do, t.co does.
- Tweet your heart out! But, Mind you, create another profile for that. Just like you need to keep your Facebook page clean and professional, your twitter profile must be professional on the same lane. Going by the TOS of twitter, having multiple profiles is no sin and hence I highly recommend you to have two twitter profiles – one personal stream and the other, professional. Take for instance, we tweet only legit stuff and share only worth-a-read sort of links from @chaaps while on the other hand I tweet all nonsense from @muru0410. 😛
Have I missed a thing or do you have anything to speak about my twitter profile(@muru0410)? 😉
Have your say in the comments section. Also, make sure you follow us on @chaaps to keep up with our updates instantly.