Enjoy this Holi with these Healthy Thandis and Snacks
The colorful festival of Holi is around the corner and it’s time to prepare the sumptuous Holi treats that we love to eat. However, have you thought about those extra calories that you will gain from devilishly sweet gujiyas, rich thandais, and other delicacies? Worry not! With a little bit of innovation and experiment, you can give Holi treats a healthy twist this year. For starters, make sure you only use water from the water filter for home to prepare all the snacks. Water filter from KENT are known to dispense healthy and pure drinking water. So, amidst all the celebration, fun and moving from one neighbourhood to another on Holi day make sure you consume water only from reliable water filter for home use.
Gujiyas are synonymous with Holi Celebrations. Sweet and tasty, this dessert is very high on calories. So, if you are weight conscious, replace fried gujiyas with baked ones this year. Stick to the same ingredient, but instead of deep frying, bake them in an oven. Also, if you wish to experiment further, you can use apple filling for the gujiyas instead of khoya.
If you are worried about your sweet tooth instincts, Lauki Barfi is for you. Good for diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and weight loss, you can prepare lauki barfi using less sugar. Lauki as we know, is low in fat and high in fiber, and serves as an excellent base for a sweet dish. To make 10 barfis use 2 cups of grated Lauki (bottle gourd), 1 liter milk, half cup khoya, half cup sugar, 1 tbsp cardamom (elaichi) powder and 1/4 tsp edible green colour(optional).
- Boil the milk in a pan
- Add the grated lauki in boiling milk and stir till half of the milk is left
- Add khoya, sugar with color and stir.
- Transfer the mixture in a pre-greased aluminium tray once the froth begin leaving the side of the vessel.
- Garnish with dry fruits and add cardamom powder.
- Set aside for an hour before cutting into pieces and serving it to your loved ones.
Traditional Indian snack prepared by soaking fried Vadas in thick curd (dahi), Dahi Vada is a good snack option for diet conscious people. After the Vada is deep fried, it is soaked in warm water which takes away the oil from it. Curd, as we all know, is light on the stomach and helps digestion. So, make sure that you include Dahi Vada in the menu of your Holi party.
Broken Wheat Kheer
Kheer made from broken wheat or dalia is a tasty and nutritious dessert. You may be aware that broken wheat is an excellent source of fiber and the recipe is good for people suffering from diabetes and heart ailments. To make 2 servings, you need to have 1 cup of broken wheat, 1 cup coconut milk, 2 tsps of cardamom (elaichi) powder, 1 cup Jaggery (gur) 2 tsps corn flour and 2.5 cups of clean water.
- Grind the wheat in a dry grinder before transferring it into a pressure cooker.
- Now add water and cook till it becomes soft (7-8 minutes).
- Add jaggery to boiling wheat and cook for one minute.
- Stir continuously to avoid burning and remove from the flame.
- Mix corn flour with coconut milk and add it to the porridge.
- Add cardamom powder before serving it hot or cold.
Prepared with a mixture of almonds, fennel seeds, rose petals, pepper, cardamom, saffron, milk and sugar, Thandai is a great replacement to aerated drinks. Diet conscious can consume this beverage without a tinge of guilt.
To prepare 10 glass of thandai, use 2 liters of pure milk (toned milk if you want to cut further on calories), 1 tsps powdered sugar, 15 black peppercorns (Kalimirch) and required amount of saffron (Kesar). People who are allergic to dairy products can use lactose free milk.
- Packed with so much goodness, thandai is an immunity booster. While the Fennel seeds have antioxidants and cooling properties, Almonds are rich sources of vitamin E.
- Saffron is the excellent herb that prevents arthritis, cancer and is known to improve vision.
- Milk contains calcium, protein and vitamin C to make our bones and teeth stronger and healthier.
- Watermelon seeds cool the body and also strengthen muscles and bones.
- Rose petals are very useful to cure digestion problems and stomach discomforts.
Enjoy with your Friends & Family
With the snack menu for your Holi party sorted, soak in the festivities and fun. Call friends over, or prepare these delicacies or share with your neighbours and family. Also, play Holi with eco-friendly colours. You are keeping the inside of your body hale and hearty by eating healthy snacks. Similarly, you have to protect the exterior of your body from harm. Use eco-friendly colours to avoid the damage of your skin and hair.